Saturday, August 21, 2010

Comics storage

Much to my parents amusement, I'm trying to get my whole comics collection packed to come with me.  I argued that going without my comics would be like going to school without textbooks, but it didn't stop the inevitable eye roll when they saw how big the box was.

A couple of months ago, during a procrastination marathon of The Big Bang Theory, I noticed that Sheldon his comics in small decorative baskets:
This is a great solution-- classy, easily accessible, and best of all, a total field day for those with OCD.  I saw some cute, versatile containers that were about the right size at Ikea, but I figured I could find them even cheaper if I kept looking.  I ended up getting photo storage boxes from A.C. Moore.  They're a tiny bit too wide, but they're cheap and come in a variety of colors. 
**********

In current reading, I've been totally obsessed with the film Inception and literally squealed with glee when I saw they've released an online promo comic. 

The comic, entitled "The Cobol Job", is a prequel to the movie and supposedly gives a bit of background to the botched job that has Cobol Engineering chasing the team down at the beginning of the film.  Being a prequel, it lacks many of the movie's best characters: Eames the forger and Yusuf the chemist are still in Kenya, Mr. Saito is only mentioned as an employer and Ariadne the architect has yet to even hear of shared dreaming.  Still, the 36 page comic, available as a .pdf here, is brightly colored and full of action-- in fact, it's pretty much one big fight scene. The dialogue is stilted and the art is a bit too anime-flavored for my tastes, but it has potential. If the same people were to turn it into a series (which they won't, but hypothetically speaking) I'd read it just to see how things unfold and to spend just a bit more time in that fascinating world.

The only big let-down is the lack of resemblance to the actors:

Maybe the real one's just too pretty...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment